Think of Florida, and you’ll think of great weather, beautiful beaches, and FISHING! Treasure Island is home to some of the best fishing in the state. There are plenty of fish species to target and a plethora of inshore spots to choose from.
Treasure Island is the perennial favorite among anglers from across the globe and for very good reason. Endless wetlands and backwaters make it a haven for fishing enthusiasts. Variety is the name of the game in Treasure Island, and inshore species are plentiful.
The area is well known for several fish species in particular, including trout, snook, tarpon, and redfish. In addition to these popular and common area targets are a number of other species, including tripletail, flounder, black drum, pompano, and more.
If you enjoy sight fishing in the flats, Treasure Island is an outstanding venue for fishing enthusiasts to test their skills in skinny water.
Since this part of the west coast of Florida experiences relatively mild seasonal changes, fishing is excellent here year-round. However, when you’re considering your next fishing trip to the area, take note that there are some times of the year when fishing heats up for certain species. A few that you might want to consider are:
- Tarpon – The annual tarpon run (migration) is a “can’t miss” opportunity that usually occurs between May and October.
- Pompano – The pompano bite heats up when things cool down. Winter and early spring are great times to target this species in Treasure Island.
- Snook – Summertime is key for connecting with one of the most sought-after gamefish on the Gulf Coast. Warmer water catalyzes snook activity.
- Redfish – Redfishing is best starting in late spring through late summer and early fall.
- Trout – Trout (seatrout) can be caught year-round like many other species in the area, but the best times are typically summer months.
Treasure Island is the perfect destination for saltwater fishing to target redfish, trout, tarpon, snook, and other species. So if you’re looking for a trip that’s out of this world, schedule a trip soon with Captain Kevin to take full advantage of everything this area has to offer. He’ll put you on the fish and smile on your face!