If you’re looking for a great summer fishing destination, look no further than St. Petersburg, Florida! Inshore fishing is at its best during the summer months, and St. Pete offers some of the best fishing in the country.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced angler, there’s something for everyone in St. Pete. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with all the information you need to get out on the water and start catching fish, including some great tips on making the most of your time on the water.
What kind of fish can you expect to find inshore?
Some of the most popular inshore fish species that anglers target during the summer in St. Petersburg include snook, tarpon, redfish, trout, sharks, and flounder. All of these species can be caught using various techniques, including live bait fishing, artificial lures, and fly fishing.
What is the best time of day to fish inshore?
Many anglers prefer fishing during the early morning hours or the evening hours when the sun is not as intense. The cooler temperatures and lower humidity make for more comfortable conditions on the water, and the fish are typically more active during these times of the day.
What are some tips for fishing inshore?
- Use live bait when targeting snook, tarpon, and redfish. Live bait such as shrimp, pinfish, and mullet are readily available at most bait & tackle shops in the area.
- Fish around areas of structure and cover like docks, piers, bridges, and mangroves. These areas provide shelter for fish and attract baitfish, which attract predators.
- Be patient and keep your eyes open for signs of fish activity. Look for fish actively feeding on the surface or birds diving into the water. Be quick to move to an area where there is evidence of fish.
What’s the best way to prepare for the summer heat?
With summer comes the heat, and with the heat comes the need for proper precautions while spending time outdoors in Florida. Water magnifies the intensity of the sun due to its reflective qualities. Here are a few tips on how to make sure you have a fun and safe time fishing in St. Pete this summer:
- Suncare: Make sure to apply sunscreen before heading out and frequently reapply throughout the day. Wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your face from the sun’s harmful rays. Face masks and fishing gloves can also serve as indispensable tools to battle the effects of the sun.
- Fishing apparel: Choose light-colored, loose-fitting clothing to help keep you keep cool. Wear shoes that can get wet, as you may end up wading in the water at some point. Long sleeve shirts with UV protection are a great way to protect your skin during a long day of fishing.
- Hydration: It’s essential to stay hydrated when spending time in the heat. Bring plenty of water and drink often, even if you’re not thirsty.
You can have a great time fishing in St. Pete this summer by following these simple tips. So get out there and enjoy some of the best fishing the country has to offer!